“There are so many things to consider when making meatloaf. What should I put in it? How do I make sure it doesn’t dry out? How long should I cook it for?”
If you’re looking for some guidance on what to eat with meatloaf, look no further. This blog post will give you some tips on the best sides to serve with this classic comfort food dish. From mashed potatoes to mac and cheese, there’s something here for everyone! So, don’t wait any longer – get cooking!
History of Meat Loaves & How to Make Them Best Part of a Meal!
The humble meatloaf has a long and storied history. It is said that the first meatloaves were created by the ancient Romans, who would mix ground meats with spices and other ingredients, then shape them into loaves or patties. These early versions of meatloaf were usually cooked on a spit or grilled over an open fire.
The modern meatloaf as we know it began to take shape in the 18th century, when German immigrants brought their own version of this dish to America. This German version, called “falscher haupt”, was made with chopped beef or pork and spices, and often included raisins or other sweeteners. This dish became popular in America, particularly among working-class families who could not afford more expensive cuts of meat.
Meatloaf continued to evolve in the 19th and 20th centuries, with cooks adding all sorts of different ingredients to the mix, from bread crumbs and oatmeal to vegetables and even fruit. There are now endless possibilities when it comes to what to include in your meatloaf, so feel free to get creative!
One important tip for making a delicious meatloaf is to make sure that you do not overcook it. Overcooked meatloaf can be dry and unappetizing, so use a cooking thermometer to ensure that your loaf is cooked through but still juicy. Another great way to add flavor and moistness to your meatloaf is to top it with a delicious sauce or glaze.
There are many different sides that go great with meatloaf. Mashed potatoes are always a classic, but other great options include roasted vegetables, boiled rice, macaroni and cheese, or even a simple green salad. Whatever you choose, make sure that your side dish complements the flavors of your meatloaf.
What to Eat with Meatloaf?
There are so many things to consider when making meatloaf. What should I put in it? How do I make sure it doesn’t dry out? How long should I cook it for? But one thing you don’t have to worry about is what to serve with your meatloaf! There are plenty of delicious sides that go great with this classic comfort food. Here are 10 of our favorites:
- Mashed potatoes – Perhaps the most classic pairing for meatloaf, mashed potatoes are always a good idea. They soak up all the delicious juices from the meatloaf, and they’re just plain comforting.
- Roasted vegetables – Roasted veggies are a great way to add some healthy flair to your meal. Plus, they go well with just about anything!
- Mac and cheese – This one is for the kids (or the kid at heart). Mac and cheese is always a good idea, especially when it’s paired with meatloaf.
- Green beans – Green beans are a classic side dish that go well with just about anything. They’re simple, yet tasty, and they’ll round out your meal nicely.
- Salad – A salad is a great way to add some freshness to your meal. It’ll help balance out the heaviness of the meatloaf and sides, and it’s a healthy option too!
- Corn on the cob – Corn on the cob is the perfect summer side dish. It’s sweet, juicy, and it goes great with meatloaf.
- Biscuits – Biscuits are another classic side that go well with just about anything. They’re fluffy, delicious, and they’ll soak up all the delicious juices from the meatloaf.
- Roasted potatoes – Roasted potatoes are a great alternative to mashed potatoes. They have a crispy exterior and a soft, fluffy interior, and they’re absolutely delicious.
- Macaroni salad – Macaroni salad is the perfect picnic food. It’s light, refreshing, and it goes great with meatloaf.
- Coleslaw – Coleslaw is another great option for a summer picnic. It’s cool, crunchy, and it pairs well with just about anything.
So there you have it! 10 delicious sides to serve with your next meatloaf meal. So, what are you waiting for? Get cooking!
What Are Some of the Different Types of Meatloaves?
There are many different types of meatloaves, each with their own unique flavor and texture. Some of the most popular types of meatloaves include:
- Beef: This is the most classic type of meatloaf and is typically made with ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, onion, and ketchup.
- Pork: Pork meatloaf is often made with ground pork, bread crumbs, eggs, onion, and ketchup. It can also be spiced up with additional seasonings like sage or thyme.
- Chicken: Chicken meatloaf is a healthier option that is usually made with ground chicken, bread crumbs, eggs, onion, and ketchup. Sometimes other herbs and spices are added to chicken meatloaf for additional flavor.
- Vegetarian: Vegetarian meatloaves are typically made with a variety of vegetables, bread crumbs, eggs, and ketchup. Popular vegetables to use in vegetarian meatloaves include mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, and eggplant.
Frequently Asked Questions | What to Eat with Meatloaf
1. What are some good sides to eat with meatloaf?
There are a variety of different sides that can be enjoyed with meatloaf. Some popular options include mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, and carrots. These vegetables pair well with the savory flavors of meatloaf and provide a well-rounded meal.
2. What is the best way to cook meatloaf?
The best way to cook meatloaf is to bake it in the oven. This cooking method allows the flavors of the ingredients to meld together and results in a moist and flavorful dish.
3. Can meatloaf be made ahead of time?
Yes, meatloaf can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until it is ready to be cooked. This is a great option for those who want to prepare their meal in advance.
4. What is the best way to reheat meatloaf?
The best way to reheat meatloaf is to wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven at a low temperature. This will help to keep the meat moist and prevent it from drying out.
5. How long does meatloaf last in the fridge?
Meatloaf will last for 3-4 days in the fridge when stored properly. Leftovers can be enjoyed cold, or they can be reheated for a quick and easy meal.
6. Can meatloaf be frozen?
Yes, meatloaf can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrapping the meatloaf in foil or plastic wrap will help to prevent it from drying out.
7. What are some creative ways to serve meatloaf?
There are a variety of different ways that meatloaf can be served. It can be sliced and served on a sandwich, diced and added to a soup or stew, or even formed into mini meatloaves and served as an appetizer. No matter how it is served, meatloaf is sure to be a hit!
Although there are a variety of foods that can be eaten with meatloaf, some of the best include mashed potatoes, green beans, and carrots. With these side dishes, you’ll have a complete and satisfying meal that will leave you full and happy. So the next time you’re looking for something to eat with your meatloaf, consider one of these options!
Read more at Ohsnap Cupcakes!